Plants lace their seed with natural pesticides to deter pests and predators. These pesticides that plants produce are called oxalates. These oxalates form crystals that prick the predators mouth. Plant also load their seeds with oxalates as a way to store calcium for the offspring.
While oxalates are useful as a calcium storage mechanism for plants, its toxic to humans in acute and chronic amounts. Oxalic acid grabs calcium and forms oxalic acid - which is the main ingredient in kidney stones.
Oxalates can impact nearly every bodily system:
- Neurological symptoms ( Disturbs sleep and adversely affects coordination, memory, learning, and concentration )
- They cause allergies via mast cell degeneration and histamine release
- Can facilitate fibromyalgia and carpals tunnel syndrome
- Linked to osteoporosis
- Implicit in breast cancer
- Destroys intestinal villi causing leaky gut ( main cause of all autoimmune disorders)
Foods high in oxalates:
The seven veggies above are also goitrogenic, which means they inhibit iodine uptake needed by the thyroid for normal functioning. They can also potentially cause blood clots which make it the worst food for the elderly.
-sorrel (highest amount)
If your diet is vegetarian and these plants form a big part of your diet, then here a few tips you can use to lower the oxalate content.
- Legumes ( sprout them or soak them for 12 hours changing water multiple times)
- Nuts (Soak them for 12 hours with a bit of salt)
- Soy must be fermented
- Deseed all your vegetables
- Make sure to fully cook these foods
If you suspect you have a leaky gut, arthritis, or kidney stones, completely avoid these foods.